Monday, September 29, 2014

Five steps to help get your life in gear!

Get in Gear!

Exodus 14:15New Living Translation (NLT)

Escape through the Red Sea
15 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Why are you crying out to me? Tell the people to get moving!

I really love fast cars and a close friend of mine bought the coolest vehicle. It is a silver Chevrolet Camaro with two thick black racing stripes that lay across the hood, roof, and trunk. The car is quick and the best part is its manual transmission.

When they brought the car to the house I was crazy excited. I couldn’t wait to get behind the wheel and take a spin. Seeing the car was cool but when I got into the driver’s seat it got even more exciting.  I slid the key into the ignition and turned the car on – goose bumps quickly raised on my arms as the deep baritone sound emitted from the chrome tipped twin exhausts.

My left foot engaged the clutch and my right foot engaged the brake. I then released the parking brake and pushed the gear shifter into first gear. The anticipation of power was overwhelming!

After my right foot came off the brake my left foot slowly released the clutch. We’re moving! Chug chug jerk jerk stop. That car jumped more than a kid in a bounce house. After a couple more tries we were rolling.

As difficult as it was to get out of first gear in this car, I am reminded of how people are either afraid to get out of neutral, can’t get out of first gear, or are rushing to speed in sixth gear.  Every gear has a purpose including reverse. It is ok to backup and reevaluate. Staying idle cannot be a permanent position if you ever want to succeed. However, it is necessary to rest or return to the ready position when life’s red lights appear. Taking the first step is a big choice and the joy of first gear can be exciting but even that gear cannot be ridden forever. Then, some are in such a hurry to go fast that they miss the power of progressing through the gears gradually.

Here are five steps to help get in gear!


Make a Plan
The best intentions will rarely materialize if they are not properly planned. Habakkuk 2:2New Living Translation (NLT)
Then the Lord said to me, “Write my answer plainly on tablets, so that a runner can carry the correct message to others.

Leverage your Fears
Control those things that are trying to control you. Use your faith to stomp out your fears and when you are weak remember that God is fighting for and with you.
2 Timothy 1:7New Living Translation (NLT)
For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.

Handle Anxiety
There is a difference in walking aimlessly and allowing God to aim your steps. Your plan looks like no one else’s. Your mapmaker and destination creator knows where you are going – there’s nothing wrong with asking for directions!
Philippians 4:6New Living Translation (NLT)
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.

Avoid Haste
Unbridled speed is dangerous. Manage your actions and you will achieve greater success.
Proverbs 25:15New Living Translation (NLT)
Patience can persuade a prince, and soft speech can break bones.

Properly Rest
Resting allows the mind and body to recover. If you are tired you cannot function at full capacity. Rest is essential to functioning in excellence.
Psalm 46:10New Living Translation (NLT)
 “Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world.”


Get in gear! Your finish line is waiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment