Monday, November 28, 2016

Same Meal Fresh Seasoning

YOU NAME IT

When I was a child and even to this day, my mother regimentally held, “remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.”  Any day that ended in Y belonged to Jesus but Sundays were especially holy. As a child, we went to church on Sunday, wore church clothes on Sunday, watched religious TV on Sunday, and only listened to gospel music on Sunday. I think we could only talk about Jesus on Sundays too!

There was a particular story/song I confidently remember hearing nearly every Sunday as we drove to church. Sung by Pastor Shirley Ceasar and colorfully detailing the story of Shouting John, “Hold my Mule – I Feel Like Praising Him” was easily one of my favorites. I really enjoyed hearing how he boldly and unashamedly worshipped God.

In Exodus chapter eighteen, the Bible communicates the juxtaposition of a passionate leader (Moses) and a caring father-in-law (Jethro). As dedicated and committed as Moses was, Moses' efforts were over extending him. His father-in-law simply tells the proud leader, LOOK - “This is not good!” (v.17)

Although Moses had been successful in his work, there was a more efficient way. Moses would have never seen it had Jethro not given him a FRESH perspective.

I challenge you to be receptive to FRESH perspectives. I'm not saying you're wrong but there could be a more beneficial way of getting to your goals...

Back to the story of Shouting John…

Recently, a creative music producer took the classic song and remixed a small portion of it to a new beat. The story is the same but the rhythm changed. Because of the FRESH remix, new generations of listeners are learning. Pastor Shirley’s message is the same then as it is now - the blessings of God are bountiful and He deserves praise!

Here is my point.

“The grass withers and the flowers fade, but the word of our God stands forever” (Isaiah 40:8 NLT).

What is being served hasn’t changed. However, a change in delivery has pushed a classic story/song to a whole new generation of hungry people.

The Apostle Paul put it this way, “…I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some” (1 Corinthians 9:22 NLT).

I have been a personal trainer for a little over a year and because of that, I have had to revise my dieting to support my efforts in the gym. There are meals that I still enjoy but because I am in a new stage of my life, I have to revise the way those meals are prepared. A little change in preparation can go a long way! God’s WORD is CONSISTENT TRUTH; I am grateful for the creativity He gives us to take His truth and package it in a way that relates to those in need.

My Co-Pastor, Mia Wright, helped me see this simple truth and I’m excited about the #UNameItChallenge. Although the song’s delivery is different, I appreciate the new group of listeners who are learning an unchangeable truth –Jesus Lives, Jesus Saves, and His mercy endures forever.

God is blessing us everyday. How has He blessed you today? #UNameIt





No comments:

Post a Comment