Tuesday, May 30, 2017

We played tug of war at church - (The little things)

The Little Things

How to get over being overwhelmed!

The alarm rings at 5:30am; after several rough nudges, I throw my legs over the side of the bed and bury my face into my hands. A short prayer is emitted, “Lord help me…” My house moves like clockwork, the infant is crying for attention and the toddler is fussing to be fed moments afterwards.  A little more rest would be ideal but the snarl of traffic grows with each passing minute.

Clothes, breakfast and backpacks are readied and before I know it, it is time to leave.

The hustle of our days coupled with the responsibilities of our careers and extracurricular activities can be daunting. It is easy to become overwhelmed and exhausted.

Yet, just as what we have to do can be overwhelming – what we love to do can be overwhelming as well.

Sunday we did an object lesson using a tug-of-war rope. I held one rope end with one hand and had an elementary student grab the other rope end. Easily I was able to pull the child in my direction. I added another elementary child to the opposite end of the rope.  Once again, I easily pulled the children in my direction. Another child was added. It forced me to use two hands but I successfully pulled them. A fourth child was added and the task became significantly more difficult. I was able to pull them for a moment but they prevailed.

Little tasks individually handled are easily manageable. 

However, when those small tasks multiply, they
can develop the “overwhelmed” feeling.

The Bible compares it to small foxes that spoil a vine rich with succulent fruit. (Song of Solomon 2:15)

We never plan to be overwhelmed. Yet, the incessant addition of school/career work, family needs, body goals, social plans, and life interruptions stack like Legos.  The little things nip at your productivity, your sleep, your strength, and your will.

I know what overwhelmed feels like but I also know whose name overrides any and everything with surrender posturing power.

Be encouraged with these scriptures:

Psalm 46:1-2, 61:2, 119:105 - Instead of just crying about your current situation, cry out to the God who delivers, sets free, and saves.  He is the bird’s eye view to your situation and the guide to get out.

1 Corinthians 14:33 – God is not the creator of confusion. He is a promoter of peace. When there is insurmountable stress, slow down and seek God’s face. Pause and Pray!

Mark 6:31 – Step away from some things. People tend to unnecessarily carry things that have no real benefit to their day or even their life. I have an overstuffed wallet that makes it difficult sit down when it is in my back pocket. That wallet contains my college ID, a couple expired gift cards, some receipts, and various other useless items. The weight of these individual items is insignificant. Nevertheless, when they are combined they cause a problem.  The items carried value at one time but now I’m still carrying things that mean more to me than they do by themselves. Let it go.


In the close of my tug-of-war object lesson, I led the youth to scripture that reminded them that Jesus cares deeply for us. He sees when we are struggling to sustain and the moment we call His name, He steps in and adds supernatural strength to help us hold on and remind us when to let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment