Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Just like Him - The Super Mario Brothers

My Father and Me!

My son wanted a game console for his birthday. I was vehemently against it because I believed it would lead him into a world I didn’t understand and away from his father.

Nevertheless, what good father denies his child good things when they have every reason to deserve that and more? Being a barely willing participant, I declined riding in the car when his mom picked up the game console from the store. On his birthday, my son was a rubber ball of excitement. The moment the gift was unveiled he exploded. That game console was the only thing he wanted and like Ralphie from The Christmas Story he nearly put his eye out.

From a distance I watched him connect his remotes, interchange playing the games, and destroy his digital foes. I knew he was happy but a side of me wondered how I would engage in an activity that was completely foreign to me.

In the Gospel of St. John chapter 5 verse 19, it says, “So Jesus explained, “I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself. He does only what he sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does, the Son also does” (NLT).

In this one verse we get a glimpse into the divine relationship between our God, the Father, and Jesus, the Son. Prior to this, the Jews had not long witnessed Jesus heal an excuse ridden lame man that had suffered for 38 years. The response of the Jews was to label Jesus a Sabbath breaking blasphemer. They missed the miracle because they were maximizing who Jesus was instead of what Jesus had done. Jesus was not operating independently of God because their relationship is without rivalry. It is the power of God at work through the Son. It is not a matter of inferiority or superiority but a combined strength that is able to heal, restore, strengthen, and provide in ways beyond our understanding.

It is like the slogan surrounding the importance of unity for our city - #strong. Admittedly, I was envious of the toy. Yet and still just as we have been brought to understand that our Father in Heaven is not only greater than any object or being, He is also the one that helps us to be great when dealing with any object or being.

When I least expected it, almost a month after my son received his game console, he begged me for batteries. Of course, the batteries were for one of his game remotes. After I put the batteries in, my son sat next to me and said, “Can we play together for a few moments? I need your help to win this game.”

Good Dad to the rescue. A few moments turned into a few swiftly passing hours and I actually got pretty good. Before long I was able to show my son a few tips.

As parents, we need to take advantage of those unique moments God gives us with our children. Their DNA is proof that they are a part of us but their habits, mannerisms, and attitude about life is what we teach them through being an active part of their lives. It’s ok if you don’t get everything that they are into, take the time to learn and you will recognize that it is only a reflection of what you do – just on their level.


His favorite game is about story telling and of course, you know I love a good story!

No comments:

Post a Comment