Tuesday, February 27, 2018

I Will Rejoice! It's Will Day!

I will Rejoice!

Tuesday, February 20th, 2018 will forever remain in my memory. To get the whole story we have to start with that Monday evening. My oldest son was hanging out on the couch watching one of his favorite cartoons. I noticed it was getting near his bedtime so I suggested that he get ready for bed. He looked at me and confidently responded, “It’s William Cumby day tomorrow - may I stay up a little later with you?” I laughed and gave him so more time. The next morning, my son woke up with a burst of excitement, “It’s William Cumby day and I’m skipping school!” He put on a new outfit that his mom purchased for him and rode with me to City Hall. He was also wearing the biggest smile I had seen since Christmas.

Because we arrived early to City Hall, we were able to get prime seating. When anyone asked why he was there, my son proudly responded, “It’s William Cumby day!” The City of Houston’s Mayor and the city council members entered the room and William sat up real straight in his chair. Then the announcement came for me to stand and walk to the podium. As they read the proclamation for William Cumby day, my son stood and waived every time they said William Cumby.

After all of the speeches it was picture time. Guess who had to stand up front so that everyone could see him on TV and in the pictures? You’re right! My son stood in front of the mayor, the council members, our family, and even me.

One of the best parts of the day was at the celebration dinner. My son elected to say the prayer for our meal. He started out, “Dear God, thank you for the Mayor making today William Cumby day…” I didn’t know whether to laugh or shed a tear.

I love how God speaks to me through special moments with my children. 

My son carries the same name as me and in his mind, because we carry the same name he deserves every accolade and accomplishment that his father receives.

Psalm 118:24.

“This is the day the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it.”

When David the giant slayer wrote this Psalm, he could have been referencing Jesus’ entrance into in Jerusalem, His resurrection from the dead, the Sabbath, or just the days that we can carry out His message through our lives. The entire 118th Psalm eloquently punctuates David’s unbridled appreciation for grace, mercy, faithfulness, love and more. David is elated at the day His heavenly created. It is His savior’s day but David is rejoicing.

Watch this. The very breath you inhale and exhale is a gift from God. The sun emitting its rays of heat and energy is a gift. The fact that you feel the heat of the sun is a gift. The truth that you get to do things that you don’t have to do is a gift.

Every day belongs to God but we should have an extreme appreciation for every day He gives us to celebrate with Him. We are a product of His handiwork and because we are related to the creator, every day belongs to us as well. It is up to you to determine how you will respond to your Father's day.

Will you stay up late to spend more time with Him, will you stand when His name is mentioned? Will you share your appreciation with others?

I will rejoice.





No comments:

Post a Comment