Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A-1 Thick and Hearty!


Bold and Honest

Hebrews 4:16 -  (NKJV)
16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

Mark 10:46-52 - (NKJV)
Jesus Heals Blind Bartimaeus

46 Now they came to Jericho. As He went out of Jericho with His disciples and a great multitude, blind Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, sat by the road begging. 47 And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!”
48 Then many warned him to be quiet; but he cried out all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” 49 So Jesus stood still and commanded him to be called. Then they called the blind man, saying to him, “Be of good cheer. Rise, He is calling you.” 50 And throwing aside his garment, he rose and came to Jesus. 51 So Jesus answered and said to him, “What do you want Me to do for you?” The blind man said to Him, “Rabboni, that I may receive my sight.”
52 Then Jesus said to him, “Go your way; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus on the road.

If you ever meet my yellow convertible corvette driving, big house in the suburbs living, and generous personality giving aunt then consider yourself blessed! I think God gave her big hands because she is always giving! Every time I get around her I feel like a child at the movies. She is very animated and tells the most amazingly TRUE stories.

Her life was not always glitz and glamour. She struggled through several difficult things that not only placed her in prison but also affected much of her life.

Recently she sat at my living room table with tear filled eyes and said two words to me, “Bold and Honest”. She then told me the story of the day she left prison. When she got out, there were some guards who said, “See you soon!” Then there were other guards and higher-ranking officials who said, “You will never be able to find your way back to this place.”

Not everyone on the front row is there to cheer you on!!

Because of her record it was initially difficult to find employment or a place to live. One Saturday, my aunt had someone take her apartment shopping. Apartment complex after apartment complex turned her down. After several application fees and zero approvals, her faith and momentum became lackluster.

Passing by one last place, prepared to completely give up, she decided to try again. My aunt wiped her face, opened the truck door, and walked inside the leasing office. Her head was held high and her shoulders squared.  The woman behind the office desk stood and politely asked how she could help.

My Aunt said, “I hope you can help me. I have been to several apartments and paid a lot of application fees, this is my last stop. I have been to prison but I have changed, I can’t afford any more application fees and I need a place to stay.”

The woman thought for a moment then said, “I’m going to make sure you get a place to live here and I am going to waive the application fee.” My aunt, intrigued but elated, asked, “Why are you doing this for me?” The leasing representative replied, “Because you were bold and you were honest.” Not only did the leasing representative help my aunt get an apartment, she asked, “Do you have any furniture? I have an apartment full of furniture that I need to move, if you have a truck you can have the furniture also.”

As you are reading this, I believe there is some area in your life that you need a major breakthrough. Blind Bartimaeus was without his physical sight, but spiritually he could see that a miracle work was in town and he needed to meet Him.  Bartimaeus was loud and almost cantankerous in his request for a moment with Jesus. Jesus called for Bartimeus and says, “What do you want Me to do for You?”

Bartimaeus could have made many different requests, but in his moment of boldness he decided to be honest as well. We are encouraged to come BOLDLY before God. He knows what we need but we try to request or hide our real issues. God is not an ATM for our real or un-real requests.  Neither is He on time restraints. God is good and gracious but we must be upfront, honest about our needs, and patient. Bartimaeus didn’t know how long it would take for Jesus to heal him, he just knew Jesus was a healer and he needed to be healed.

Take your request boldly to God. Tell Him what is really on your mind regarding your life. In your honesty with God be prepared for His honesty with you! 

By the way, my aunt still does not know how to get back to the prison where she stayed.

2 comments:

  1. Minister Will,

    This one really helped me. You are right, not everyone in the front row of our lives are there to cheer us on. Some are haters, some are hecklers and some genuinely love us. I know for me, I would not have achieved many of my goals if I had not let go of my parents protective hands. Their care for me wanted to protect me from challenges and obstacles that I needed to face to become better. That's why it is so important to be in tune with the father because He knows the plans that He has for us. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Minister Will,

    Thanks for this blog posting. You are correct when you say that not everyone in the front row of our lives are there to cheer us on. Some are there as haters, some as hecklers and some genuinely love us. I know that I would not have met many of my goals if I had not let go of my parents' protective hands and grabbed on to God's. They sincerely love me and wanted to protect me from hurts and obstacles that I needed to go through to become better. Therefore, it is important to be in tune with the Father because He truly knows the plans He has for our lives. Thanks so much for your blog and this post!

    ReplyDelete