Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Rest...But Don't Quit!

Rest!


Rest if You Must…But Don’t Quit!

Mark 6:30-31
30 Then the apostles gathered to Jesus and told Him all things, both what they had done and what they had taught. 31 And He said to them, “Come aside by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.” For there were many coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat.

Am I the only parent that does the most  in an attempt to keep their child awake in the afternoon or creates tiring activities so that the child will sleep through the night or sleep in the next morning?

Don’t judge me! LOL
My son seems to have a back up battery for energy. Right when I think he is going down for the count, he gets a surge of seemingly endless energy. Yet, when he is absolutely done, he falls into a deep sleep. He becomes a heavy limp noodle that only God himself can wake up.  But when that sleep is over, he is on level 12 – ready to rock!

I believe that as we get older we avoid naps like the plague and charge our bodies with enough caffeine to run a multi-ton steam engine. Then, when our bodies are craving rest, we fight it. We either believe we are missing out or we have put off necessary items so long that we have no choice but to stay up.

For some, the worries of life keep them up at night thwarting any efforts to get rest.

God wants you to rest. He made night and day for a reason. Even after all of His efforts to establish this world and its inhabitants, the bible says God rested.

Jesus sent his apostles out to do the work of the kingdom and when they returned they were excited about their accomplishments but worn from their efforts. Jesus tells them, “Come aside by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.”  He basically said, "Let's take a nap!" But, it wasn’t long after that nap that He fed the multitude.

Your rest is not retreat – your rest is recovery so that you can recharge and roll on!

You don’t have to be the fastest, strongest, or wisest. You need to be the most prepared.

Stop being disobedient – and go to bed.

If you are attempting sleep but cannot get it. Here are a few suggestions and scriptures I say before bed that help me sleep. The bible says that God’s word does not return to Him void (Isaiah 55:11). That means if He says it – it has to happen! So speak His words over your much needed rest.

Exercising, stretching, or reading are great activities that can relax the mind and body to aid in getting rest.
Scriptures on Rest
Psalm 4:8
In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe.

Psalms 37:7
Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices!

Exodus 33:14
And He said, "My presence shall go with you, and I will give you rest."

Matthew 11:28-30
"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. "Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you shall find rest for your souls. "For My yoke is easy, and My load is light."

Psalm 127:2
It is vain for you to rise up early,
To sit up late,
To eat the bread of sorrows;
For so He gives His beloved sleep.



1 comment:

  1. Well written...I had an injury that required me to rest and I didn't know how. I've worked since I can remember and being told to stop and rest (no work, no lifting, no nothing) sent me into a panic. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete