Monday, January 13, 2014

It's only a flesh wound - or is it?

How many times have you heard "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me"? I would venture to say that you have probably heard that saying as many times as I have heard it preached -- that words DO HURT.

I ascribe to both thoughts but with greater insight.

When any of the youth I work with at church approach me and tell me that they were in a fight, I immediately ask for details. As interesting as it is to hear the blow by blow commentary - I am more interested in HOW it all started. The funny thing is that a majority of the altercations were ignited by somebody's words. Someone said something about somebody and everybody got excited.

Although the words never drew blood the intended opponent still saw red

Proverbs 18:21
New King James Version (NKJV)
21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue,
And those who love it will eat its fruit.

Matthew 26:51-52
New King James Version (NKJV)
51 And suddenly, one of those who were with Jesus stretched out his hand and drew his sword, struck the servant of the high priest, and cut off his ear.
52 But Jesus said to him, “Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish[a] by the sword.

Often, the difference between our words giving life or taking slices from life is minimal. One thing said the wrong way or in the wrong moment changes WORDS to SWORDS and somebody's getting cut.

It is my challenge to you that you consider the content of your conversations. 

Peter, protecting his leader, drew his sword and for all intents and purposes aimed to remove the head of the soldier, Malchus. However he only severed the soldier’s ear.

I believe that someone is always listening and our words could be the very swords that remove the ears of those who need to hear about saving grace and the favor of God. 

Thank God for being a healer even to the lost that they may know Him and still become saved.


So although it is true that words do not draw blood - they can paint an ugly picture. You have the ability to use your words for good and when they need to be swords allow them to cut up and rightly divide a lie to expose the truth.

2 comments: