Monday, January 6, 2014

The biggest LOSER just WON!

The biggest LOSER just WON!

Galatians 6:4 (NKJV)
4 But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.

In order to keep the peace while driving, I allow my son to play on my phone. (Sidebar: This is also my ingenious way of keep me from texting and driving). I am always amazed at how he navigates the different apps on the phone. 

If he feels like watching one of his favorite cartoons, he goes to the Disney Jr. app. If he feels like doing some learning, he goes to the learning apps, and if he feels like hearing his own voice in a shrill and very annoying tone for daddy, he goes to the talking tom app. But lately, he has advanced to some of my personal games that I thought were a bit too advanced for him. His personal favorite is temple run. Now mind you, he is not very good. He just enjoys the sound of the game and watching the little guy run until he falls.

Today, I heard him playing the game in the backseat and laughing to himself. When we arrived at his daycare, I pried my phone from his hand, and walked him into class. As I was getting back in my car, I noticed that I had several Facebook notices. This little dude had posted his score from temple run to my Facebook page and people were commenting on the terrible score.
I would have been ok with him posting his score but it wasn’t a very good score. Hey, my reputation is at stake.

Then I thought about it. For my son it wasn’t about getting a high score – he was happy to play the game and was more excited about his ability to work the app. 

In life, we cannot measure our accomplishments against everyone else. We must not only be our biggest competition but also our biggest cheering squad. It’s not about being boastful or braggadocios. It is about challenging yourself to make great personal accomplishments and then having the where with all to be ok with your own applause.

I challenge you to celebrate yourself this week even if your accomplishment isn’t as big of a deal to someone else. And, be sure to take off the post feature on your phone when you let your kids play with it!

God Rocks!



No comments:

Post a Comment