Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Fear - it's what's for dinner!

Head bowed and arms loosely hanging at his sides, my son sombered his way over to me. My first thought, he must have wet his pants...


The moment he got close to me, a floodgate of tears opened and out came this boisterous cry for mercy. I'm challenged whether to console him or chide him. We marched into the restroom and in my sternest voice I said, "go potty!" Side note: there is no tough way to say potty.

He undressed and used the restroom still crying. Then, before he redressed, I checked his pull-up. Bone dry. 

We had been diligently working on potty training for weeks. My son was so afraid that he was going to mess up that at the thought of disappointing his father - he cried uncontrollably.

Psalm 111:10

New Living Translation (NLT)
Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true wisdom. All who obey his commandments will grow in wisdom. Praise him forever! 


I don't think God is sitting in heaven, with a golden septor, prepared bonk us on the head for every mistake. His goal is not to beat us into submission.

Through relationship with Him, God wants us to have a supreme respect for Him. Because we esteem Him above everything else, it should drive us to please him. Why shouldn't we shudder at the thought of disappointing our Heavenly Father. Although it is true that God has amazing grace - don't take it for weakness. 

But, the motivation to make great decisions should not be because you fear God on the Big Sins. We need to respect God daily by regarding and honoring Him in all things.   

He is Abba Father - Daddy God - Our Help and Our Strength.  Your life is forged from His love. So here his your challenge - can you say that you respect/fear God enough to not dissapoint him? When God loves, He gives wisdom for mistakes and strength to avoid them.

Eat a healthy portion of humble pie with a side of respect - 

your life depends on it!


No comments:

Post a Comment