Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Let it gooooooo!!!

I witnessed the most intriguing occurrence while looking out the window at work. A woman, wrapped in several layers of clothes, was slowly but deliberately moving two shopping carts. I wasn’t sure how far she was going, but I was certain it was going to take two times too long. After wiping her sweat filled brow, she placed both hands on the push bar of her first at capacity shopping cart. One foot in front of the other, she moved her cart about thirty yards, parked it, and walked thirty yards in the opposite direction. Waiting for her was another at capacity shopping cart. She placed her hands on the push bar of that cart and moved it thirty yards to join the previously parked cart. She continued this back and forth action several times as she made her way down the street. She seemed unaffected by neither the heat of the day, the weight of her baskets, or the distance she was traveling. Yet, I was perplexed at her methodic and time-consuming efforts.

I can’t judge which of her possessions carried value – but it was a lot of stuff and wherever she was going it was going to take a long time to get there! There is a popular colloquialism that says, “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.” As true as the statement appears – I challenge whether the person carrying the perceived treasure is cherishing a bit of trash also. Let it go.

Daily we pick up and hold on to unnecessary items that could be discarded if we really think about it. I have a horrible habit of collecting receipts under the notion that one day I will put them in some spreadsheet to “write off” on my taxes. In actuality, I’m just building a paper nest in my wallet that causes me to sit lopsided in my vehicle. Let it go.

The bible says in 1 Corinthians 13:4-5, “Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged” (NLT).

In what ways have you been wronged, disappointed, upset, mistreated, overlooked? The first time bothered you but when it happened again, you held on to it. It became a piece of trash that when held long enough will become toxic. The more you amass these negative feelings based on your experiences you are setting yourself up for nuclear meltdown. Holding a grudge hurts you more than it bothers them. Let it go.

“You will never be called upon to give anyone more grace than God has already given you.” – Max Lucado

I was talking with one of my kids from the church about ordering something to eat and then it being more food than he could handle. I asked him what he would do if he only had a few bites left but was already full. He said, “I’ll save it for later – I spent money on that!” Some of us invest in people/things and although we have every reason to let it go we can’t.

Don’t hold on to things tighter than you hold on to God…

They/it may not be leaving you – God could be taking it away.

Let it go.

My son, who is starting to sound a lot like the voice of reason, popped in on me yesterday while I struggling about a big decision. He simply sang to me, “Let it gooooo daddy!”

Clearly, Frozen is his favorite movie but in that moment – his words pulled me from that stagnant place and helped me to move on. Let it go.

What are you holding on to? Have you realized that it is taking you twice as long to get somewhere close? What can you let go? I dare you to let something go – I am certain that if you asked God about it, He has already showed you what it is. Let it go.

Hebrews 12:1
New Living Translation (NLT)
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.



No comments:

Post a Comment