Tuesday, January 13, 2015

How far is it to the moon and back?


How far is it to the moon and back?

Brennan Manning, the celebrated American author wrote, “My trust in God flows out of the experience of his loving me, day in and day out, whether the day is stormy or fair, whether I’m sick or in good health, whether I’m in a state of grace or disgrace. He comes to me where I live and loves me as I am.”

If you were to physically measure love, what tool would you use? What would the total measurement equal and how would you know if your measurement was accurate?

I heard an old preacher say that he asked Jesus, “How much do you love me?” Jesus, instead of speaking, simply hung his head and widely stretched his arms out on a cross.

John 3:16New Living Translation (NLT)
16 “For this is how God loved the world: He gave[a] his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life

Romans 5:8New Living Translation (NLT)
But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.

These two scriptures effectively help me to identify with God’s unyielding and limitless love for us. But still, how would you measure limitless love?

A friend of mine once told me that they loved someone to the moon and back. Being analytical, I decided to Google the distance.

According to Space.com, on average, the distance from the earth to the moon is 238,855 miles. Therefore, the distance to the moon and back is 238,855 X 2 = 477,710 miles.

But wait, there’s more! If you continue reading it says, “However, the moon is moving away from Earth at a rate of about 1.5 inches (4 cm) per year.”

So, what does that mean to you? The love of God that we thought was great and gracious as child is a different understanding of love as a teenager, and even that teenage understanding of love pales in comparison to what we know as an adult. Why? Because as we grow older so does our comprehension of God’s love for us. The mistakes God lovingly forgave you for as a child were great but even now God continues to show us that we cannot quantify, box, contain, measure, limit, or restrict His love. Daily, He loves you more! And, it is that same love that held Jesus to the cross, forgave you for your sin, and continues to hold you as get to know Him better.

We can’t physically measure God’s love but we can enjoy and live right because of it.

We say, “God I love you!” His response, “Love you more!”

PS - EVERYDAY show someone you love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment