Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Priorities

My son really enjoys playing on my phone. He has his own box for his apps and even knows how to unlock the phone. The other day he asked for my phone and proceeded to go through the apps. As he is sliding the apps across the screen going from page to page, he recognizes a picture behind the apps.  It is me holding my nephew. My son looks up at me and says, "That's me daddy!" The two boys look similar but it was definitely not him in the picture. I tell my son that it is his cousin. My son gets quiet for a second then says, "It's supposed to be me."

At first glance, this sounds like a story about being selfish however I saw things differently. 

Exodus 20:5 (NLT)
You must not bow down to them or worship them, for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God who will not tolerate your affection for any other gods. I lay the sins of the parents upon their children; the entire family is affected--even children in the third and fourth generations of those who reject me.


Behind all of the things that demand and maintain our attention is a picture of what we love. On the iPhone it allows you to pick your picture and place it on either your lock screen (the beginning screen) or your home screen (the screen behind your apps). The great majority of people with a smartphone tend to place a picture of their priorities on their home screen. In life, behind all the things that pull at your heart, what is the one constant that makes it beat? My son gave me a gentle reminder that behind all of my apps yet steady throughout every page should constantly be him. I had to readjust my constant. 

Our hearts should beat for God first He is the picture on our home screen. Its because of Him that all things are possible - so why don't we give Him more credit? This blog isn't a challenge to make Jesus your cellphone's home screen but it is an admonishment to those who have removed God from His first place position.

Its an easy fix. Even if you have taken 1,000 steps away from God, it only takes one step to get back in His arms. A few simple steps rightfully changed my home screen - are you willing to take the necessary steps to fix your home life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment