Thursday, August 9, 2012

Decisions in Darkness!


Decisions in Darkness!




Acts 16:27-29 (AMP)
27 When the jailer, startled out of his sleep, saw that the prison doors were open, he drew his sword and was on the point of killing himself, because he supposed that the prisoners had escaped.
28 But Paul shouted, Do not harm yourself, for we are all here!
29 Then [the jailer] called for lights and rushed in, and trembling and terrified he fell down before Paul and Silas.

Have you ever had one of those intense days that drained every ounce of energy from you? That was yesterday for me. I was busy from 6am until 11pm. By the time I arrived home and had dinner, all I wanted to do was crawl under my covers and lay my head on the cool side of the pillow.
After a few hours of deep sleep, my son decided it was time for everyone to wake up and join his personal party! It was my night to take care of him. So…grudgingly I slinked out of bed and plodded down the hallway to his room.

There he was, standing in the crib crying for attention with his hands stretched out. After 30 minutes and three attempts of holding him until I thought he was asleep, I decided to prepare him a night-night bottle. 

I know the layout of my living room and my kitchen. Therefore I felt no need to turn on any lights. Some of us have been in difficult or tricky situations so many times that we feel like we do not need assistance.

Successfully I navigated my way carrying my son. We passed all of our furniture and eased into the kitchen. Just when I thought I was doing well making his bottle in the dark, I misjudged pouring the water and adding his formula. Pow! The bottle slipped from my hand and slammed to the floor spilling all of my hard work. A little frustrated but determined to finish – I made another one. This time we were good!

The new bottle was in his mouth, but we were still in the dark. Now we were headed to prayerfully fall asleep on the couch. Once again I misjudged and wow that was my knee!

I couldn’t help but think that all of that could have been avoided if I had just turned on a light.
I believe we commonly lose sight of how we get our guidance. Whether we have become so comfortable doing things the way we have always done them or we have put our thinking skills to sleep. We are not actively pursuing better solutions instead we are coasting. However, life sends us sudden earthquakes that can destroy our comfort. It is at that point that we are faced with a decision. Do we quit, continue coasting, or seek the light.

God is our light source and the one we should always turn to whether our day is well lit or dark as night.

Some of our worst decisions are made in the dark. Darkness can be a bad day, a tough break-up, a life-altering transition, or anything that places a haze on our reality.

The Jailer was prepared to make a decision in darkness that would have freed him from his circumstance but would have had a dangerous ripple affect on his family and friends.
It was when he called for light that his whole life changed. He was saved and it created a chain reaction that swelled throughout his entire family.

I challenge you to not allow your dark days to determine your destination or decisions. Seek God always and continue to pursue a light that only He can provide. After all, He already knows the plan for your life, why don’t you just turn on the light and ask for directions?



No comments:

Post a Comment